Located near the Venetian Harbor in Chania's Old Town, the Archeological Museum of Chania shares and interesting, coincidental site name with its counterpart in Heraklion: both archeological museums are built on the sites of Roman Catholic monasteries named St. Francis. But while the Heraklion St. Francis monastery was leveled by an earthquake, the Chania St. Francis monastery still stands, and hosts the museum's exhibits.
The building, made of dun-colored stone, dates from the 15th century. A new museum is being built elsewhere. Exhibits over Chania history from the Neolithic period through the Roman period. Included are finds from Minoan-age Chania (then called Kydonia), prehistoric artifacts from caves, Geometric-era grave artifacts, and ancient finds from nearby settlements.
Objects include: a clay bathtub from 1300 BC, gold discs from a female burial dated in the 9th century, BC, a clay figurine of a female mourner, her hands raised and holding the sides of her head in distress, late 4th century BC, a 3rd century BC floor mosaic depicting Dionysus, and a marble bust of the emperor Hadrian from the 3rd century AD.
- Address: Chalidon 21 Street- near the Venetian HHharbor of Chania
- Entrance fee: 2€, Reduced - 1€
- Tel.: (+30) 28210 903-34